Can I still eat my soup after microwaving a metal spoon in it for two minutes?

It’s a common scenario: you’re reheating a delicious bowl of soup in the microwave, and you accidentally leave a metal spoon in the bowl. After two minutes, you open the microwave door, expecting to see sparks or even a small fire, but nothing happened. You’re left wondering why nothing happened and, more importantly, if your soup is still safe to eat. This article will delve into the science behind microwaving metal and the potential effects on your food.

Why Didn’t Anything Happen?

Contrary to popular belief, not all metals cause sparks or fires in the microwave. The reaction depends on the shape and type of metal. Smooth, rounded objects like spoons often don’t cause problems because the microwaves can’t build up enough voltage to cause sparks. However, thin, pointed objects like foil or the tines of a fork can cause sparks because the microwaves can build up a high voltage at the points.

Is My Soup Still Safe to Eat?

Generally, if no sparks or fires occurred, your soup should be safe to eat. The metal spoon would have absorbed some of the microwaves and become hot, which could have heated your soup more quickly. However, it’s unlikely that the spoon would have caused any chemical changes in your soup that would make it unsafe to eat.

What Should I Do in the Future?

While you got lucky this time, it’s best to avoid microwaving metal in the future. Even if sparks don’t occur, the metal can still become extremely hot and could potentially cause burns. Additionally, repeated exposure to microwaves can damage the metal, causing it to become discolored or warped.

  • Always check your food for any metal before microwaving it.

  • If you accidentally microwave metal, let it cool down before touching it to avoid burns.

  • Use microwave-safe containers and utensils to heat your food.


In conclusion, if you accidentally microwaved a metal spoon in your soup for two minutes and nothing happened, your soup is likely still safe to eat. However, it’s best to avoid microwaving metal in the future to prevent potential fires, burns, or damage to your utensils. Always remember to check your food for any metal before microwaving it, and use microwave-safe containers and utensils.